Light microscopy as analysis and documentation method
- Analysis of printed circuit boards and assemblies
- Surface examination of contact pins of electronic components
- Investigation regarding occurrence of oxidation and diffusion effects
- Measurement of layer thicknesses and layer structures
- Documentation of deformation, damages and cracks at electronic components
- Examination of solder joints
Depending on the problem and the size of the samples a variety of modern high-resolution microscopes with several configuration options are available to achieve optimum analysis results, e.g. reflected and transmitted light as well as dark field inspection methods.
Images are digitized by use of high-resolution cameras and are standardly provided in a complete examination report. Due to special image processing tools identified problem areas can be clearly highlighted and marked.
The light microscopy is an essential method, for example, to inspect printed circuit boards according to IPC-A-610.